Monday, January 3, 2011

P90X Plus beginnings

I'm terrible at sticking to my old toys when I get new ones, and the case follows through with my workout program.  For Christmas I got "P90X Plus" and have been very excited to give it a try.  Now once again I have extended phase II so I can use the P90X Plus doubles routine in place of the Classic P90X schedule.

The great thing about P90X Plus, is that you don't stop using the classic routines and you just occasionally substitute a "Plus" video instead of the regular classic workout (For example Upper Plus & Abs/Core Plus to replace Chest, shoulders, triceps and ab ripper X), but then later on in the week you might do ab ripper X instead of abs core plus...   without making things too confusing, you just swap up the workouts to keep variety.

I got a jump start on the Plus DVDs yesterday, instead of doing my Kenpo X, I tried out Kenpo Cardio Plus.  The first thing I noticed was that the routine was shorter, but soon after I also realized that I don't stop moving, even on rest breaks.  Afterwards I felt great, and felt like I worked harder than I would on Kenpo X.  Later that night I found out that my abs were sore as well, so without even knowing it a lot of the moves were working my core as well.

Today was the true beginning of the "Plus Doubles".  I started off with Total Body Plus and was worried.  You move between sets very quickly in this and it is definitely a full body workout.  Originally at the start, I felt like maybe it moved too fast, and I wasn't working the muscles hard enough to get gains, but as the DVD went on, I realized that it packed so much into a short period of time, I was exhausting my muscles without realizing it ---About 15 minutes after the workout, I realized that it had worked enough to cause tired shaky legs and tired shaky arms.
After that, I got a little food and rest in, and then fired up Cardio X to complete the doubles requirement for the day.

In Total Body, unlike what I'm used to in the Classic P90X resistance days, you don't do reps to failure(With good form), you do reps until you start feeling tired and get close to that burn and then quickly move onto another body part.  These mini-rest breaks make you feel like you've got a lot more in you and allow you to pump out extra reps.  I didn't realize the exhaustion until after the workout, whereas often times I feel like I'm out of pump near the end of the workouts, and was dreading the next move.

Tomorrow I'll get to see how Cardio Intervals Plus compares to Plyo, as well as Abs/Core workout compared to Ab Ripper X.  I'll definitely be wearing my new HRM for cardio intervals to do my comparison with the plyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment